Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Polaroid Macro 5 SLR 1200

Meet the Polaroid Macro 5 SLR 1200. Definitely one of the odder cameras in my shooting arsenal, this Polaroid Spectra film shooting instant behemoth is a cool niche camera designed for medical and technical photography. The camera has two built in flashes either side of the lens for even illumination and can focus down to .07" or 1.7mm via a turret system if five lenses.

Copyright Polaroid Corporation 
As the name implies the camera is a true SLR (Single Lens Reflex) and framing through the view finder is very accurate. Focus is achieved both visually and by a system of matching light dots projected onto the subject by the camera, when the dots line up, the subject is in focus.

Copyright Polaroid Corporation
My previous posts using the Macro 5 can be found here.


3 comments:

  1. Dear Mathew,
    This week I found a Polaroid Macro 5 SLR in a local thrift store(I am living in Nijmegen, The Netherlands). I became instantly excited and I tried to start the camera by pressing the power button, but nothing happened. Only the little LCD screen with the date was on. I thought the four AA batteries were dead. At home I put in four new AA batteries and pressed the Power button. Again nothing happened, no lights, no sound.
    Then I thought the batteries of the empty film cartridge, that was in the camera, might be dead or weak.
    Do you know if the camera could be non functional because the batteries in the film cartridge are dead or weak ?
    I don't want spend money on expensive impossible or original polaroid film for a camera that is not functional.
    I would really appreciate your help.

    Kind regards,

    Winfried

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winfried,

      The camera does utilize both the AA batteries and the film pack batteries to function. With no film pack or a dead film pack battery your will only the LCD screen.
      Hope That Helps,
      Matt

      Delete
    2. Dear Matt,
      Thanks, this is great news. I was so happy and excited when I found the camera. When I coudn't get the it started I became afraid the camera might be dead. I will order some film.
      Kind regards,
      Winfried

      Delete